Monday, October 4, 2010

October 3, 2010


Halloween is coming. Or as Target Marketing calls it--Halloweekend.

Duke is sporting his trick or treat collar for the month. I am trying to teach Duke to walk on a leash. We have an acre of yard and for the most part, it's all fenced in. Duke has always had the run of the yard for whenever and for however long as he has wanted it. So we don't walk him. Which means he is a nightmare to walk on a leash whenever we need to take him somewhere. I'm using the Gentle Leader to break him of his habit of pulling. He doesn't like to wear it, but I'm hoping he gets used to it. And eventually, when he learns to not pull on his leash, he won't have to wear it at all. If you don't have a dog, or have never heard of it, it fits over the snout and around the neck. When your dog pulls forward, it pulls his nose to the side, theoretically stopping him from pulling. I'm taking him out into the yard for only a little bit at a time. This is the first day, and my goal is for it to take less than a month to break his pulling habit. I'm jealous of people who can take their dog anywhere and the dog will trot right next to them on a loose leash and not be a pain in the ass.

2 comments:

Ash said...

I'm jealous right along with you. At home Kota dog acts like a retired dog but in public not so much. good luck

Jay said...

Hey, get with Jen, she has a friend that does dog training and we broke Stella in on visit. Now she is a puppy, but I would imagine that it wouldn't take long...she is that good.