Sunday, June 29, 2008

Long, Long Ago...In a Faraway Place...

Hi, all you faithful blog readers. (I think there is only one of you, so...hey Jay!) It's been awhile since I've blogged, and I have much to tell...

I've been in my new position at work now for about 3 weeks. I absolutely hate it. I really, really don't like it at all.

We've recently had some 'house' problems. One night while doing laundry...Jon went downstairs to put my work clothes in the dryer and put his work clothes in the washer. After he started the dryer, we smelled natural gas upstairs. Jon says, "Let's call the fire department!" I said, "Now hold on a minute. It started right about when you turned the dryer on, so go turn it off." After he turned the dryer off, the smell went away. So Jon took one set of my work clothes and one set of his work clothes over to his friend's house to dry. The next morning, when I had no hot water, (I love cold showers!) I discovered that the sump pump had stopped working. And when my clothes were in the washer, all the rinse water flooded up and took the hot water heater pilot light out. Hence the coincidence of the gas smell right after my clothes were done. Anyhoo, after my cold shower, I went to work for a few hours, then came home to help fix this horrific situation. Jon also did not go to work. So I went to Menards to buy a new sump pump. It was scary because they don't make them like the one we had, and that's what I was looking for. So I got one that I thought would be okay and brought it home. Jon changed out the sump pump and we got that going. Yeah, clean clothes again! After drying the floor all up, reading the instructions on the water heater 8 times, finding a video on YouTube about lighting a pilot light, and calling our Fireman Friend Jay*, we got the pilot light lit again. I gotta tell you, we were both terrified that we were going to blow up the house. Yeah, hot showers again! The last thing on the list was the air conditioner. After explaining the problem to *FFJ, he told me he could fix it for us for cheap. Jay came over, got the part he needed to replace, and went to the part time gig. On his lunch, he came back replaced the part with a new one, and the AC works! Yeah, cool house again! So, I'm in debt to my husband for changing the sump pump (I would never touch all that nastiness) and to Jay for fixing our AC for $1.98 and a bottle of Bombay (and something else he doesn't know about yet...). Thanks gentlemen!

4th of July vacation in Ludington this weekend. I can't wait. I need a vacation.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Something else I don't know about...Yeah! I love surprises. If I don't see you before your vacation...Have a great time!